Thursday, May 7, 2009

Incredible feta...

Guest Blogger: Hans Rueffert

For much of my life, Feta cheese was just that dry, crumbly stuff that was methodically lumped atop salads at Greek restaurants. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't noteworthy either. A few years ago, however, my friend Kasra introduced me to REAL feta in the form of a brined variety from Bulgaria. He served me a plate of feta cubes surrounded by fresh basil leaves and slices of radish. Amazing. My sense of geography gets a little fuzzy when it comes to Bulgaria, but damn it's some good cheese. It was, I believed at the time, the Holy Grail of feta; dry yet creamy, salty with sweet after notes. Could it get any better?


YES!!! Leave it to Out of the Blue to find and procure an amazing feta from Mountain View Cheesery. The Bulgarians have been trumped by the Alabamians! The coriander and lavender from my Out of the Blue salt really makes the cheese sing and you may find you've eaten the entire jar before you even realize what's going on. The stuff sells out faster than oxygen on Mars, so you may have to put in a special request to make sure Sarah sets some aside for you. Believe me, it'll be worth the wait.

Gesundheit! See you at Out of the Blue

Hans Rueffert

No comments: